We are looking for a
Researcher, Recycled Feedstocks
to strengthen our Feedstock Research Team in the Technology Centre, Kilpilahti industrial area in Porvoo, Finland. Our team is a part of the Feedstock and Pretreatment Department in Neste Innovation. We are responsible for delivering feedstock competence and preprocessing solutions enabling the use of different new raw materials for the production of fuels, chemicals, and materials.
Your part in Neste journey
It is a great time to join us!
Neste is the world's largest producer of renewable diesel from waste and residue raw materials. We are committed to become a solution provider for chemical recycling and support the circular economy by providing innovative solutions based on waste plastics. From 2030 onwards, Neste targets to process annually more than one million tons of plastic waste to recycled products. We are now seeking a research minded thermal conversion professional who will work on developing the winning feedstock and process technology solutions to meet this ambition.
In this role, you will
- Conduct research on the liquefaction of waste plastics, both in-house and with partners, to enable utilization of plastic waste fractions in chemical recycling
- Research the quality, composition, and technical properties of waste plastics, and how these influence their behavior during various processing steps
- Plan, organise, lead, and report internal and external analysis and experimental work related to recycled feedstocks and their liquefaction products
- Act as an expert related to the thermal conversion of recycled feedstocks and products derived thereof, e.g.
- Provide technical expertise for Neste decision making process
- Support long-term strategy work for sustainable raw materials
- Provide feedstock supply organisation with technical support and participate in partner meetings
You will work closely with a cross-functional team of experts, business development, engineering, and with various external partners. Our work combines accountability, cooperation, and the desire to develop and renew.
Keys to success in this role
The best combination of experiences, skills, and background is
- Master's degree or higher from a relevant field, e.g., Chemical Engineering, Organic Chemistry, Polymer Technology, or Chemical Reaction Engineering
- At least 5 years of relevant experience from research, process development, and/or engineering
- Experience in thermochemical conversion technologies (pyrolysis)
- Analytic problem-solving skills with active solution seeking mindset
- Ability to network and cooperate in-house and with partners
- Fluent English and excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
We also value
- Experience in the thermochemical processing of plastics, e.g., liquefaction processes and technologies, and properties and composition of liquefaction products (pyrolysis oils)
- Knowhow related to plastic products and plastic waste fractions, their structures and chemical compositions
- Experience from project management and business development related tasks or co-operation
- Decision making skills, proactiveness, and hands-on attitude
- Understanding oil refining processes is considered as an advantage
Our success is based on our people who are the driving force behind Neste’s transformation to become a global leader in renewable and circular solutions. The passion that we have for creating a healthier planet for our children is what makes us unique. We believe everyone is a leader and share a natural desire for collaboration. Our three values “We care, We have courage, and We cooperate” are embedded in our everyday work. Working safely and responsibly at all times is essential to all of us.
If this resonates with you, we look forward to receiving your application.
Join us in creating a healthier planet for our children!
If you have any questions regarding the process or the position, please get in touch with Tuulikki Irlén, Team Leader, Feedstock Research, email:
email@example.com, tel: +358 40 511 2249 preferably on Wednesdays and Thursdays 10-11 AM (EEST).
Please, submit your application including your CV, Cover Letter, and salary expectation by August 15th, 2021.
The recruitment process will include interviews and aptitude testing. The first interviews are preliminarily scheduled to take place on weeks 34 and 35. Prior to that, we may also invite the most suitable applicants for a video interview.
The person selected for the position must pass a health examination including a drug test. A security clearance is obtained for the persons with their consent.
Our success begins with you.
Every company needs a purpose, and Neste has a strong one: to create a healthier planet for our children. We are 4,800 dedicated professionals committed to that purpose. Everything that we do, down to the smallest detail, shows our clear commitment to tackling the challenges of climate change. As an employer, understanding and valuing wellbeing is vital for our success. At the same time, we encourage every individual at Neste to contribute towards creating a positive impact on the environment as well as on the people, communities and societies around us.
Neste’s strategy is called ‘’Faster, Bolder and Together’. It reflects the understanding that there is no time to lose in combating climate change or helping to tackle the waste plastic challenge. In order to succeed, we need to act, innovate new solutions and deliver them faster and bolder than ever before – together.
As innovation is in our DNA, we are empowered to develop pioneering solutions to make businesses more sustainable. In 2021, Neste placed 4th on the Global 100 list of the most sustainable companies in the world.
For more information, please visit neste.com.